There’s nothing worse than the feeling of anxiety and for those who suffer from it regularly, it can take control of your life. If you’re someone who has ongoing anxiety or finds yourself stressed at times, essential oils could be the natural solution you need. We find the best essential oils for anxiety so you can calm your mind and get the peace you deserve.
Essential oils have long been associated with relaxation, and many people think of an aromatherapy massage or meditating with some oils burning when they’re trying to come up with ways to unwind. It’s no secret that there are plenty of great oils out there that can help with stress and anxiety, it’s just a matter of knowing which ones are best.
With the best essential oils for anxiety in your arsenal, you’ll never have to worry about another attack or feeling tense as you’ll have a helpful tool right there. We’re going to look at the most common oils used to treat anxiety and the best ways you can use them to relax your body and mind.
Rather than reaching for medications or trying to self-medicate your anxiety with drinking alcohol or other harmful activities, essential oils are a natural approach to your problem. They’re affordable, easy to use, and will give you many more benefits than just their anxiety easing powers, so you’ve got nothing to lose giving them a try.
What Is Anxiety?
Anxiety is a general term used to describe several different disorders. Those who suffer from anxiety will experience feelings of worry, stress, panic, fear, and apprehension. Anxiety can strike at any time or someone may have the constant feeling of worry with them, and some may find it completely disabling.
There are an estimated 40 million people in the US alone who suffer from anxiety and it’s the most common mental condition in the country. Treating the condition can be hard to do, which is why having a natural treatment like essential oils is so helpful for people.
The History of Essential Oils for Mental Health
Essential oils have had a place in medicine for thousands of years with many of the world’s oldest civilizations understanding their importance. They have been used to treat all kinds of medical conditions as well as conditions of the mind, and in western society today their most popular use is for relaxation.
The history of using essential oils for anxiety and stress dates back thousands of years to the very beginning of these powerful extracts. Although the way we use them today has progressed quite a bit, there is a lot of evidence that proves people have known about their healing powers for many generations.
The Best Essential Oils for Anxiety
No matter what type of condition, symptom, or ailment you have, you can almost be guaranteed that there will be an essential oil out there to treat it. When it comes to anxiety, you are blessed with a wide range of oils that can help reduce its severity or stop it completely. These are the commonly known best essential oils for anxiety and how they work to calm your mind.
- Highest Quality Pure & Natural Valerian Essential Oil - Our Valerian Oil is 100% pure, undiluted, all-natural, and...
- Gc-ms Tested for Purity & Dilution - Every batch of our valerian essential oil is tested using a a type of testing...
- Bottled in a 10ml Glass Bottle with Built-In Eyedropper - All of our essential oils are bottled in an amber glass bottle...
This herb has been shown to have a mild sedative effect and is commonly found in natural sleep supplements. Valerian can help calm the mind and body to rid you of your anxious thoughts and relax. This one is better left until bedtime as you may find yourself with a desire to drift off to sleep after you smell it.
- Majestic Pure Lavender Oil; blend of two (2) pure lavender oil; Lavandula angustifolia from Bulgaria and Lavandula...
- Aroma: Best sampled on a test strip or tissue to allow the aroma to breathe, evolve and open up; top note with a strong...
- Safety Warning: For external use only. Other than aromatherapy, dilute with a carrier oil. For topical use, rub a very...
Always at the top of the list when it comes to essential oils for sleep, relaxation, and calm, lavender has many healing powers for the mind. Numerous studies have been done on the effect of this plant and it was found in a recent study that it actually affects the limbic system within the brain which is the area responsible for emotions.
- Aroma: Heavy, sweet-woody, slightly musty scent
- Indications: Calming, relaxing; nourishing for heart and nerves; combats stress and tension; helps restore inner...
- How to use: In an aroma lamp, or add a few drops diluted [3%] in a carrier oil to bath, shower, or massage oil, or apply...
One of the lesser-known essential oils but still good for anxiety nonetheless, Jatamansi is connected to valerian as they come from the same plant family. This is a popular oil that’s been used in Ayurvedic medicine for thousands of years. A 2008 study showed that mice that smelled its scent had decreased GABA neurotransmitters and MAO receptors which meant relief from depression and anxiety.
- Highest Quality Pure & Natural Basil Essential Oil - Our Basil Oil is 100% pure, undiluted, all-natural, and therapeutic...
- Gc-ms Tested for Purity & Dilution - Every batch of our basil essential oil is tested using a a type of testing called...
- Bottled in a 10ml Glass Bottle with Built-In Eyedropper - All of our essential oils are bottled in an amber glass bottle...
Commonly referred to as ‘Tulsi’, holy basil comes from the same family as the standard cooking herb we use. This is an adaptogenic herb which means it’s able to treat both mental and physical stress. When it comes to anxiety and other high-stress emotions and thoughts, it’s a great one to turn to.
- UNIQUE SEDUCTIVE SCENT: Jasmine oil has an exotic yet sweet aroma that uplifts your senses and creates a positive and...
- HIGHLY-CONCENTRATED JASMINE PETAL EXTRACT: Originating from India, Jasmine Absolute is solvent extracted. The delicate...
- BATCH SPECIFIC GC-MS REPORTS ON EVERY OIL: Every bottle of oil from Plant Therapy goes through multiple rounds of...
Many enjoy the scent of jasmine just for its sweet smell but it’s capable of so much more. One sniff of this essential oil and you’ll feel a great sense of instant well being. It’s also believed that jasmine can calm the nervous system without making you feel drowsy and tired like some other essential oils do.
- Our finest Bergamot essential oil lets you experience its renowned fresh citrus scent. When diffused for aromatherapy...
- Body Wonders Bergamot essential oil is cold pressed from fresh bergamot also known as the Citrus bergamia peels to keep...
- We don't dilute our aromatherapy Bergamot oil with any carrier oils, and we never add preservatives or other additives...
Bergamot is a multi-faceted oil that can be used for so many great things, even reducing our sensitivity to the sun. For sufferers of anxiety, there’s good news also as studies have found that it relieves anxiety and gives you a sudden boost in your mood. Not to mention it’s also one of the better smelling oils thanks to its bright citrus vibe.
- BEST SCENT: Other chamomile essential oils may be blended with inferior oils which often mask the scent of the...
- 100% PURE: Unlike other brands, Avíanō Botanicals does not blend or combine their oils with any other lower quality...
- TOP-QUALITY: Roman chamomile is said to be superior especially when it comes to its powerful calming effects and its...
Most people know you can drink a chamomile tea to calm you down, but the scent can also be quite useful as well. Chamomile essential oil can be great in a bath or used in massage and it’s been proven to reduce symptoms in those who suffer from mild to moderate anxiety disorders. This oil should not be used by pregnant women though, so take note.
- ✔ EXCEPTIONAL QUALITY - Only One Ingredient - 100% Pure & Undiluted Vetiver oil obtained through steam-distillation of...
- ✔ AUTHENTIC EXPERIENCE - SenseLAB's Vetiver essential oil is made in India, from locally grown plants native to India
- ✔ AMAZING AROMA - Help Relaxing - When it’s time to unwind after a long day, or if you need to buckle down for a...
Rather than taking prescribed diazepam for your anxiety, why not go for the natural alternative? Vetiver has been shown to have the same effects as the anti-anxiety drug without any of the side effects and this was proven in a lab study with rats.
- Pure & Natural Rose Essential Oil - What sets Artizen Essential Oils apart are their unparalleled purity and...
- Don't Fall Victim To Cheap Diluted Rose Oil - Most of the competition dilute their oil with a cheap carrier oil or even...
- Most 4 Ounce Rose Oils Contain Less Than 1/3 Of Natural Oil - Unfortunately, there's a lot of misrepresentation of the...
Beautifully scented and made from rose petals, there’s no better oil to use when you want to treat yourself. Although many oils are off limits from pregnant women, one study found that a foot bath with rose oil reduced their anxiety by significant amounts.
- 100% PURE : ArtNaturals Frankincense Essential Oil is 100% Pure, unadulterated, therapeutic grade, and GC/MS tested....
- CENTER, COMFORT & SOOTHE- Supports emotional balance, spirituality and peace of mind. Soothes skin. Good for meditation,...
- AROMATIC- Can be used with an essential oil diffuser to provide therapeutic aromatic benefits or simply perfume your...
A popular choice in massage thanks to its rich aromatic scent, frankincense is the perfect oil for those with anxiety. Studies have proven it a natural way to reduce feelings of stress and anxiety, and when combined with a massage, it’s even better.
- Bulk 4oz Bottle of Ylang Ylang Oil - Amazing, fresh smelling Ylang Ylang essential oil at an incredible value.
- You'll Love the Smell - We know most customers use essential oil for aromatherapy or for their wonderful aroma. We...
- Perfect for Aromatherapy and DIY Products - Add a few drops to your favorite essential oil diffuser, or add a few drops...
Ylang ylang is an essential oil powerhouse able to boast many different benefits for those who smell it. One particular study found that nurses who were usually high stress had lowered anxiety, heart rate, blood pressure, and anxiety levels just from inhaling a special blend of ylang-ylang with other oils.
The Best Ways to Enjoy Your Essential Oils
Using essential oils to treat anxiety gives you so many wonderful options for how you can harness their powerful scent. Some people find certain ways more effective than others and so it may take some trial and error figuring out which is best for you. Here are just a few examples of how to use the best essential oils for anxiety.
This is like getting a double treatment in one as you’ll reap the benefits of a relaxing massage as well as your chosen essential oils. Aromatherapy massage can be done by a professional therapist or someone you’re close to, but you also need to mix with a carrier oil when applying to the skin.
Another method that offers more than just essential oils for anxiety is a warm bath. Some people find baths to be relaxing and adding a few drops of oil into them will react with the heat and steam to soothe your anxiety.
A diffuser is a great way to enjoy longer periods of your favorite essential oil and it can even be used overnight while you sleep. These are automatic devices that use a number of methods to disperse the scent in the air so you can reap the benefits.
Some people like to use candles or an oil burner with their chosen oil as it gives them a feeling of relaxation. You can burn the oil as you work or rest, but it shouldn’t be used during sleep.
If you prefer the scent to be less obvious, you could try dabbing a small bit of oil onto a cotton ball and placing it somewhere close by. This will naturally evaporate and carry the scent with it without being overpowering.
Some find products like roll-ons helpful for anxiety as they can carry them in their handbag or pocket and apply to temples, wrists, and neck whenever they need help from the essential oils.
Other Natural Treatments for Anxiety
The common treatments for anxiety include anti-anxiety medication that can be addictive or harmful for some people. If you experience anxiety yourself and want an alternative, there are some other things you might be able to try to reduce your attacks or feeling of worry.
|There are so many great benefits to speaking with a mental health professional whether it’s a counselor or psychologist. They can help you understand your fears and show you some techniques to try the next time you’re feeling anxious.|
|Studies have shown that people who exercise regularly were 25 percent less likely to experience anxiety or depression. Not only that but getting out into fresh air when you’re feeling anxious can help stop the feeling from progressing.|
|There are so many great natural supplements out there that can help with anxiety including fish oil, vitamin B, magnesium, and more. Other natural ingredients include chamomile tea, omega-3’s, and valerian.|
Meditation and mindfulness
|Taking some time out each day alone with your thoughts can help you train your mind for how to react during an anxiety attack. You can start with just 5 minutes a day paying attention to the present and not getting caught up in fears or imagined scenarios. Bring your focus back to your breath whenever you feel your mind wandering.|
Health and Safety While Using Oils
Any time we use essential oils we need to exercise precaution. People often assume that just because the oils are natural that they can’t possibly be harmful, but if they have the power to rid you of anxiety then they can certainly have other effects.
Keep in mind the warnings that come with each oil, and do further research if you’re unsure. Women who are breastfeeding or pregnant will need to show extra precaution, and these oils should never be used for kids and babies without assurance from your doctor.
When applying oils to the skin, you may find a sensitivity to them. The best approach is to use a gentle carrier oil like almond oil or avocado oil and apply a few drops of your chosen essential oil to it. This will dilute it down so it won’t irritate the skin but still give you all of this aromatherapy benefits.
- Do research for each oil’s warnings
- Breastfeeding or pregnant women will need to show extra precaution
- These oils should never be used for kids and babies
- Use a gentle carrier oil to check sensitivity to the oils
A Powerful and Natural Approach for Calming the Mind
For sufferers of anxiety, there’s no worse feeling than knowing another attack is coming on. Therefore, having a few of the best essential oils for anxiety is like a comforting backup that you can rely on whenever you feel your mind spinning out of control.
Those in traditional medicine knew about the wonders of essential oils long before we did in the western world, but we’re lucky enough today to be able to benefit from their findings. If you’re looking for a natural way to treat your anxiety and finally bring some calm to your mind, using any one of these oils would be a worthwhile approach.
Last update on 2021-02-26 at 15:18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API