We each have unique skin attributes that differentiate us from everyone else. It can be a birthmark, freckles or rosy cheeks—and sometimes we are born with or develop moles on our skin. Most times people don’t even think about their moles or even covet them as beautymarks but sometimes, they can be bothersome, leaving people to ask how to get rid of moles on skin safely and effectively.
We did our research and realized there are a lot of suggestions to sift through, so we came up with a list of the top 13 remedies for how to get rid of moles on skin.
How to Get Rid of Moles on Skin: Our Complete Guide
The dermatologist has the quickest answer for how to get rid of moles on skin. Dermatologists have several ways to remove a mole, but they can get expensive. Pharmacies sell over-the-counter solutions to remove moles, and there are more than a few at home remedies that have been proven to work. The important thing is to identify the mole you have, see a doctor when necessary, and figure out the best removal option for you.
Most moles aren’t bothersome because they’re small and light in color or are somewhere on the body that doesn’t bother you or isn’t seen. You can be born with a mole or one can appear over time. either way, if you’ve decided you want to get rid of one, choose the option most likely to work for your mole and skin that fits in budget. That’s where we come in. Read on and make the selection best suited for you.
Different Types of Moles
Not all moles are created equal, so before you decide to remove one, it’s important to identify it. The appearance of moles classifies them in one of two ways:
- Congenital moles—these are the moles you’re born with and are found on approximately 1 in 100 people
- Acquired moles—those that appear over time, after birth, and are also known as common moles
It’s thought people have between 10 and 40 moles, however, if you have more than 100 moles you’re more at risk for developing skin cancer so it’s important to monitor them and have your doctor check do a once over every year.
Cancerous vs. Benign
While a physician is the only one who can tell you if a mole is anything to be concerned about, you need to know the signs of trouble. The earlier you get them looked at, the better.
These kinds of moles are the most likely to become cancerous. When determining which moles to have your doctor look at remember the A, B, C, D and Es of moles:
- Asymmetry—if the mole looks uneven or the color size and shape of one side doesn’t match the other
- Border—if the edges of the mole are blurred or ragged and appear undefined
- Color—if the mole has different shades within it including blue, black, gray or brown
- Diameter—larger moles—more than ¼ inch in diameter
- Evolving—if the mole changes shape, shade or size in the span of weeks or months
It should be part of everyone’s yearly exam routine to have their doctor look at all moles. If you have a lot of moles, look them over monthly and check for anything that looks abnormal or different from the month before. Ask someone else check your back or any other areas you can’t see.
Skin cancer is one of the most curable forms of cancer if it’s caught early, so prevention is the best medicine.
In-Office Removal Options
The methods of how to get rid of moles on the skin that make the top of our list are those your dermatologist may use. These are widely known as the quickest and most effective choices but, they’re also the most expensive, and most insurance won’t cover the removal of moles that aren’t cancerous as it’s considered completely cosmetic.
Pick a dermatologist who’s been recommended to you or one with great online reviews. You should always ask for a consultation when you go to a dermatologist to discuss options and budget. Be sure to ask questions about pain, efficacy or side effects before you agree to a treatment.
Freezing or Burning
The dermatologist will add some cold liquid nitrogen to the mole when freezing it off. The nitrogen is so cold; it destroys the cells of the mole. This typically leaves behind a blister and, after a few weeks, when the blister heals, the mole is gone. It can leave some people with a light scar that will fade over time.
Numbing is not typical for this treatment. The liquid nitrogen is so cold that the discomfort is mild and dissipates quickly. It doesn’t take long for the blister to form but, it’s important to not get impatient as you’re waiting for the blister to heal. Picking at it could add to the likelihood of developing a scar.
A laser can be used to burn a mole off by directing heat at the mole tissue which breaks it down, causing the skin cells to die off. Another option is electrosurgery. The doctor removes the top of the mole with a scalpel and an electric current pen to get the cells under the skin. Just like freezing, these options leave a blister that, left to heal on its own, should reveal mole free skin.
We know how this sounds, but this is the most popular option in office for how to get rid of moles on skin. Your doctor will numb the area and perform one of two procedures:
- Surgical shave—used when a mole is small, raised and superficial. Using a scalpel, the doctor will cut off the mole and even the surrounding skin.
- Surgical excision—if the mole is flat or goes deeper under the surface, your doctor may use a sharp punch device to remove the mole and surrounding skin.
Over the Counter Remedies
You can visit your local pharmacy and ask for over-the-counter ways to remove moles from the skin without a trip to the doctor. If you go online, you’ll find thousands of products saying they’re the best at how to get rid of moles on the skin. Check out the verified buyer reviews to see how likely a remedy is to work.
Always read directions thoroughly and don’t stray from them. Just because a little cream works well, doesn’t mean a lot will work better. If you experience any adverse reactions, stop using the product immediately and consult either your doctor or pharmacist for advice.
- EASY SKIN TAG REMOVAL- Salicylic acid skin tag removal works by exfoliating the skin cells until the skin tag is gone....
- WORKS EFFICIENTLY - Instaderm contains fast-acting ingredients that are specifically formulated to target skin tag...
- YOUR MORE COST-EFFECTIVE ALTERNATIVE - You don't need a lot of skin tags removal products or a costly and painful...
Quite a few treatments use this as their main ingredient, and it’s effective in getting rid of moles, skin tags and warts. It works because it increases the amount of moisture in your skin, or mole, and dissolves whatever is holding those skin cells together.
Most instructions will have you soak the area with a warm washcloth for at least five minutes to soften up the skin and increase the effects of the acid. Be careful to only get the product on the mole as it can damage the healthy skin around it, so take your time when applying.
Always do an allergy test if the instructions suggest one. This is a heavy hitter ingredient so you’ll want to make sure you can tolerate it. It’s also most effective if used at or near the same time every day.
Acid Free Remedies
- More Effective:Skin Tag Remover packs the power of pure Salicylic Acid,The skin label will fall off in about 30 days,...
- Natural Formula:Our skin tag recover is made of a variety of natural plant ingredients, without harmful chemicals.can...
- Easy To Apply:Wash skin with warm water,after the skin is dry, use a cotton swab to stand a small amount of skin tag...
Some over-the-counter creams, lotions, pads or drops use a blend of natural ingredients or chemical ingredients but without the use of salicylic acid. These treatments tend to take longer and require more days of applying the product. Do an allergy test on a small patch of skin on your forearm before you go all in on a more conspicuous place. Wait 24 hours after applying to check for an adverse reaction.
Always read reviews for these kinds of products and check the ingredient list. You may find that it’s nothing more than a few ingredients you already have at home so you can save yourself some money by going with one of our home remedies.
We sifted through the plethora of home remedies claiming to work without the expense of a doctor’s office visit for how to get rid of moles on skin. We chose the options most likely to work, although nothing is guaranteed to work as well as having your doctor remove it. For how little these remedies will run you, it’s definitely worth a shot!
As with any health-related home remedy, what works for one person may not work for the next. It just depends on your body’s individual response to certain natural ingredients. You also have to stick it out. Some of our remedies for how to remove moles from the skin can take over a month to work, so don’t quit too soon or may miss out on the final result.
If you can tolerate the lingering smell, this is the most popular at home remedy. Slice a small piece of garlic and place it directly on your mole. Place a bandage over it to hold in place for a few hours or overnight, then rinse. The enzymes in garlic are believed to break down the cells of the mole.
Practice caution because raw garlic left too long on healthy skin can cause a burn. Just monitor the surrounding skin. If this remedy works for you, it could work in as little as one week. As a tip to get rid of the smell on your skin, rub a spoon on the skin as you rinse it. The metal wipes away the garlic smell.
Castor Oil and Baking Soda
- USDA CERTIFIED ORGANIC CASTOR OIL - the strict oversight of USDA ensures the integrity of our Organic Cold Pressed...
- MASCARA WAND & LINER BRUSH INCLUDED! – with this Castor Oil you get free Eyelash Kit so you can apply the castor oil...
- 100% PURE, ONLY ONE INGREDIENT - Our Premium Castor Oil is 100% Pure & Natural – No Additives, No Chemicals, No...
By mixing a pinch of baking soda and a drop or two of castor oil, you’ll make a paste that could get rid of your mole. Castor oil is known for its skin healing properties and even helping eyelashes and eyebrows grow. Baking soda is a natural drying agent.
Put the paste directly on the mole, cover with a bandage and leave on overnight. Give it a good rinse in the morning. The idea is the baking soda dries the mole out and the castor oil keeps the surrounding skin protected while healing it. Be prepared to do this routine consistently for over a month to see results.
Apple Cider Vinegar
- BRAGG APPLE CIDER VINEGAR: The Bragg ACV Vinegar is made from organically grown apples, and offers various health...
- ORGANIC INGREDIENTS: The Bragg ACV is raw, unfiltered, and crafted from organically grown apples. It is USDA certified...
- MOTHER OF VINEGAR: The ‘Mother’ consists of strands of proteins, enzymes, and friendly bacteria that give the...
Apple Cider Vinegar is touted as a good health catch all and this includes removing moles. The acids in this vinegar can dissolve the mole much the same way the salicylic acid OTC remedies do.
Prep your skin to get the most out of this option:
- Wash or soak the mole with a warm washcloth for 15-20 minutes to soften the skin
- Soak a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar
- Apply vinegar to the mole for 15 minutes
- Wash the vinegar off and dry
- Repeat this four times a day for a week
The mole should turn dark in color and form a scab. Once the scab falls off, you should have clear skin beneath it. Don’t pick the scab off! You’ll just be trading a mole for a scar.
Pineapple juice is used in a variety of skin care products because of its antibacterial properties. You can apply pineapple juice directly to the mole and leave it overnight, repeating for a few weeks or you can make a scrub of pineapple juice and sea salt. Lightly scrub the area for 15 minutes once a day for a few weeks or until you see results.
It’s thought eating pineapple or drinking pineapple juice will limit bruising after surgery so, even if the mole doesn’t disappear, your skin will glow after treatment.
Flaxseed and Flaxseed Oil
- PURE, ORGANIC AND UNREFINED - Our award-winning, organic flax oil is cold pressed without the use of heat or solvents....
- PREMIUM INGREDIENTS - Why take hard to swallow omega 3 fatty acid supplements when you can eat vegan omega 3 flax seed...
- LOCALLY GROWN IN THE USA AND CANADA - Brought to you from a family owned and operated brand that you know and trust,...
Becoming more popular for its skin healing properties, applying flaxseed oil to a mole a few times a day for a few weeks removes moles by softening it so it will peel off little by little until it’s gone. Flaxseed oil is also known to heal blemishes and cuts on the skin, so once the mole is gone, it will be scar free.
You might want to mix it with a small amount of honey which is known for its antibacterial properties, so you’ll avoid any secondary infections in the area once the mole separates from your skin.
For the most effect flaxseed way for how to get rid of moles from skin mix equal parts ground flaxseed, flaxseed oil and honey. Apply the paste directly to a clean mole and cover with a bandage for an hour. Rinse with warm water and pat dry—don’t rub. Repeat this three times a day for a few weeks for best results.
- Warm Balsamic - Our organic frankincense oil radiates a warm and woodsy aroma like frankincense resin. With hints of...
- Diffuse or Topical - Use sacred frankincense essential oil for diffuser during meditation to restore emotional balance....
- Enjoy Peace of Mind - For humidifier, use frakensense essential oil, the divine scent helps to calm your thoughts and...
Frankincense absorbs oil, so it’s thought applying it to a mole will cause it to dry out, scab and eventually fall off. Never put essential oil on your skin without diluting it with a carrier oil. Why not mix it with flaxseed oil for a one-two punch on how to get rid of moles on skin?
Frankincense oil is a great option to remove dark spots and blemishes too.
Rubbing a slice of potato to your skin and letting it dry for an hour before rinsing won’t likely get your mole to fall off, but potatoes are thought to have a natural bleaching effect because it contains natural occurring chlorine, phosphorus and sulfur. You may diminish the color of the mole making it nearly invisible.
Tea Tree Oil
- USDA Certified Organic Tea Tree Oil - the strict oversight of USDA ensures the integrity of our Essential Oils. In other...
- 100% Pure, Only One Ingredient - Our Premium Essential Oils are 100% Pure & Natural – No Additives, Alcohol-Free, No...
- Cliganic 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Risk Free - We put a lot of effort into manufacturing quality products that will...
Tea tree oil is a miracle for skin. It has anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and antimicrobial properties. Apply this oil to the mole two to three times a day for a few weeks.
You can either saturate a cotton ball with undiluted tea tree oil, apply it to the mole and adhere it with tape or a bandage for a few hours before rinsing or dip a cotton swab in the oil, swab your mole and let it dry for a few hours before rinsing.
- Moisturizing for skin, hair, and cuticles; Great for after sun skin care
- Use as after shave, hair gel, or leave in conditioner; also great for pets
- Thin gel absorbs quickly with no sticky residue, leaving skin silky and smooth. *Color ranges from clear to amber due to...
This is the safest of all home remedies for how to get rid of moles on skin and the one that may take the longest to work. You can use pure aloe vera gel right from the plant or a manufactured aloe vera product. Apply it to the clean mole and put a bandage on it for a few hours before rinsing. Over time, the mole may disappear but, at the very least, your skin will be very soft and glowing.
Clear Skin Conclusion
Whatever method you chose for how to get rid of moles on the skin, be patient. The home remedies in particular can take time; sometimes up to a month. You’ll also need to be consistent in your application of the remedy you choose, trying to apply it at the same time every day. Setting alarms can help keep you on track.
When you’re choosing a method of how to get rid of moles on skin, carefully consider the time you’re willing to invest and your budget. Through trial and error, you’ll find the remedy that will leave your skin clear, beautiful, and mole free.
Last update on 2021-09-26 at 11:38 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API